The historic Western Reserve Village is located at the Canfield Fairgrounds and is a reconstruction of pioneer life in Mahoning County, Ohio. Buildings here were relocated from their former sites for preservation, and period-authentic gardens are planted around the buildings. The village celebrated 50 years in 2015.
The site includes 10 historical buildings, a historical steam engine with rail car and caboose and a church (constructed especially for the village), all situated around a village green to depict life in the mid-1800s.
The Library was built in 1910 near the 1900s schoolhouse that was relocated from the corner of Leffingwell and Knauf roads in Canfield. The blacksnith shop dates back to the mid-1800s, the log cabin from 1829, the law office from 1840, the general store from the late 1800s and the doctor's office from 1913.
Western Reserve Village was launched in 1965 when the Canfield Fair Board acquired Elisha Whittlesey's Law Office. The Western Reserve Village Foundation, which governs operation and maintenance, was formed in 1993.
Categories & Keywords
Keywords:Canfield, Ohio, Reserve, Village, Western, fairgrounds, history